Tuesday, January 27, 2009

How to become a Speaker from shouter

In this post, I am just sharing my thought of how to become a speaker from a shouter

No..No.. I didn’t mean speaker and shouter in the real sense

  • By speaker..I meant an interesting blogger who work hard to have a decent audience to listen to his posts and
  • By shouter..I meant a new kid on the blog world who tries to grab the attention through some weird/gimmick posts

Don’t be a shouter

shout

  • As you all know, all of a sudden, if one guy shouts on the road, immediately he will grab the attention of the people on the road. They will rush to him or try to listen why he was shouting. But if there is no specific reason for his shout, they curse him and move on their way
  • If the same person, on the second day, shouts on the same road almost to the same people, some people might listen to him but most of them will already start ignoring him
  • If he continues to shout similarly in following days, hardly anybody is going to notice him, leave alone listening to him…

Have you got it..?Yes..If you are new kid to the blog world, it is most obvious that you will try to

  • Put some weird/wacky/gimmick posts which is potential enough to gain curiosity
  • Send out/blast series of emails to your nears and dears that you have started blogging and inviting them to visit your posts
  • Through social networking sites like twitter, Facebook, you continually start posting/spamming about your new blog posts

These are basic methods aka grave mistakes that a new blogger will try to do to drive traffic without knowing its consequences ..

But when the visitors come to your site and if your content stinks….mate..they are gone from your blog space…might be for ever..To some people..you might be even marked as a spammer…

These tactics may very well work in the beginning. But if you don’t change, one day you will become the only reader who reads his own blog

So what I have to do???

Be a speaker

speaker

  • A speaker might get a low/limited audience at his first few gatherings
  • At end of every gathering, a good Speaker
    • will note the audience reaction and take feedback/notes
    • will focus onto bettering his content,
    • will develop presentation skills after each event
    • will support fellow starter speakers and grow together
  • Slowly over the period of time, his audience will be growing and one day he might be one of the better speakers in the world where people will throng in huge numbers to hear him

Yes. I know you got it..but let me put it for a blogger. As a upcoming blogger

  • You have to continuously post some sensible, useful, interesting content. Don’t ask me how :( as I am a beginner and too early to suggest about that…
  • Send invitations (in a sensible, non pestering way) to nears and dears first and let them be your initial audience. Ask them to openly give feedback to your posts.
  • Build a decent network through some popular social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook.
  • Start sending invitation/tweet/message (again..stressing in an sensible, non pestering way) to your network on your new posts and await feedback. Don’t pester them for comments/feedback
  • Note your mistakes in the past and current posts, correct it and improve your content in your next blog post
  • Slowly over a period of time, if you have interesting content, you can see your blog traffic going up/steady in an progressive way..

Who Am I

Well, at this stage,, I still consider myself as a shouter who realizes that he is just keep on shouting and now started taken steps to convert himself to be a entry level speaker…

To be frank, I used to shout sometimes to get new people but always work for becoming a better speaker :)

What I shared in this post is my experience and I hope this will help to some extent for new bloggers

So, be a good speaker and rock…and don’t remain as a shouter for ever

Go speaking :)

P.S

Thanks to Angsuman for his feedback tweets on my blog which was quite inspiring in making me write this post which I have been thinking for some time. You can follow him on twitter here


Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

  1. Nice and useful post, Swami

    Good choice of pics too..

    Keep the good work going :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good One, a Speaker with a fairly short and good content would be looked for always....

    Hope you get to this soon...

    Nice post, good for new blogging kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock Swami...

    As Muthu said, your choice of pictures are too good.

    Definitely you are not a shouter. You are a good emerging speaker.

    What's your next topic Swami? Just curious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. >>Muthu
    Thanks :) Really spent some time in finalizing the pictures..Good to know you and Sundar liked it. Hope other readers liked it too

    >>Deepa
    Thanks:) Yep..I am started my travel of becoming a speaker. But it will take some time to reach the destination..But I am confident..

    >>Sundar
    Thanks :) I have few more topics lined up for this week like 'Handicraft work by my daugther', 'My first month experience as a serious blogger', 'My GetTogther with an entreprenuer', 'My NIIT Mates Get together after 8 years'. But haven't squared on which one I am going to go for this weekend.

    Thanks for all of your time

    Keep watching this space and will need your continual readership and feedback

    Regards,
    Swami K
    http://ksawme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. >>Surya

    Thanks..Do continue to read my posts and feedback :)

    Cheers

    Regards,
    Swami K
    http://ksawme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Deepa:
    I am planning one tonight :) Mostly it will be 'Handicraft by my 3 year old daughter'

    Regards,
    Swami K
    http://ksawme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete